Tuesday, December 6, 2005

A Country Song for the Cowboys' season

(Julie Jacobson/AP)

Tell me why I'm still crying over you
Tell me why I wound up such a fool
Tell me when these heartaches will be through
Tell me why I'm still crying over you
- Joe Barnhill "Tell Me Why (I'm Still Crying Over You)"
(from ESPN's World Series of Poker telecasts)

There's a lot of old country songs that have this similar theme. You love your woman, but she just keeps letting you down

That's kind of how a lot of Cowboys fans feel about this year's edition of the squad. We all love 'em, and they've got the talent to do great things, but they keep letting us down at the worst possible times.

Last Saturday, for instance, they had a chance to take command of the division against a team that has similar late game issues and lost a heartbreaker. Now they are in a tough spot in terms of playoffs. They have also lost heartbreakers to Washington, Denver, Oakland, and Seattle.

Some say they need to win 3 of their last 4 to make the playoffs. Some think they need to win all four.

Considering the next three games are against a red hot Kansas City team, Washington (who have already beaten the Cowboys once) at FedEx Field, and a tough Carolina team, that's a tall order.

So it's very likely this team, which looked like a playoff contender at the start of the year, could let us down big time at the end. Just like a country song.

So what's wrong with the 'Boys?

No comments: